Darlington covered bridge, crosses Sugar Creek at the old CR600E, west of Darlington, Indiana. It was bypassed by a more modern bridge in 1976.
Darlington bridge, seen from the south end.
Information from the Historical Marker:-
Local donations helped build this important transportation link. Completed 1868; closed to vehicular traffic, 1976. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1990. Approximately 166 feet long; Howe Truss design; built of oak and poplar with limestone abutments. Construction superintendent, Richard M. Epperson; builder, Joseph Kress.
Darlington bridge, showing the Howe Truss construction
Darlington bridge, seen from the north end.
The view from Darlington bridge, looking east.
The view from Darlington bridge, looking west.
The paved floor of Darlington bridge, showing the wooden block construction.
Some of the information, here, was gleaned from Indiana Historical Society’s publication, Focus on Local History, Covered Bridges in Indiana, from 1998. Available HERE